Thursday, December 31, 2009

Folkways' Anthology of Traditional Indonesian Music I

The traditional music of Indonesia is multifaceted. There are the Gamelan Orchestras of Java and Bali, sure, but then there are widely diverse local musics from all the various regions, all worthwhile. Folkways Records began producing recordings covering virtually every region early on.

Released in 1961, Music of Indonesia, Volume 1 provides an interesting assortment of Gamelan from Bali and Java, a Balinese Ketchak excerpt, plus some more obscure music from Celebes and Ambon.

It's available at the Smithsonian Folkways website (Google it) as a download or CD-Rom. I'll be covering Volume 2 in the near future, and will go into more detail at that point. In the meantime, Happy New Year and much thanks to all my readers. You are why I am doing this!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you like it!! I will check out your site as well. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete